With any contract there are always rules and regulations and to have a contract with the federal government you need to adhere to the rules and regulations of the specific agency of your interest, in addition to the regulations of the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR). The FAR governs all federal contracts in the acquisition process. Looking at all of the part numbers, clauses, and heaven forbid governmental jargon can make anyone’s head spin. Here are four core regulation parts that can build the foundation of your contract:
FAR Part 8- Provides instruction in the acquisition of supplies and services through government supply sources such as:
- Federal Supply Schedules
- Federal Prison Industries
- Stock programs
- Committee for the Blind and Disabled
FAR Part 12- Provides procedures of the the acquisition of commercial items
- Commercial item is any item other than real property (For elaborated definition please see FAR 2.101).
- Does not apply to acquisition of purchases made at or below the micro purchase threshold, purchase card, imprest fund, or interagency agreement.
FAR Part 13– Utilized for Simplified Acquisition Purchases; the following thresholds are:
Simplified Acquisition Threshold-
- SAT is $150,000
- For a purchase to facilitate defense or contingency operation against recovery from nuclear biological, chemical, radiological attack the SAT is $300,000 in the U.S.
- $1 million for any contract outside the U.S.
Micro Purchase Threshold-
- Micro purchase threshold is $3,000.
- The micro purchase threshold is $2,000 for construction subject to the Davis Bacon Act.
- $2,500 for acquisition services subject to the Service Contract Act
- $15,000 for acquisition of supplies or services in the U.S. that facilitate defense or contingency operation against recovery from nuclear biological, chemical, radiological attack.
- $30,000 for such acquisitions if the contract is awarded, performed, or purchased outside of the U.S.
FAR Part 52
- Largest part of the FAR.
- Contract clauses and provisions that are listed in the solicitation.
- Must be adhered to.
If you are interested in pursuing the GSA Schedule program and require direction contact Ilene Giles, your GSA Proposal Maven today. Ilene provides assistance to vendors who struggle with GSA proposals and its processes and can guide your company in the federal market to build business growth.